Friday, November 19, 2010

Our Hope to Adopt

My husband, Jacob, and I (Kim) married in December 2002, young and in love. Jacob was finishing his bachelor’s degree and applying to dental school, while I worked full time, so we felt that we needed to wait just a few years before trying to start a family. About a year later it came as quite a surprise that I was pregnant! We were shocked but happy, and then devastated to find out a few weeks later that it was an ectopic pregnancy that I had to have emergency surgery to remove.


In June 2005, while Jacob was in dental school, we felt that it was now the right time to try to conceive. In the back of both of our minds though was the thought that it would be harder to get pregnant this time. It was difficult to go through the disappointment each month, especially when it seemed that all of our friends were having children, and we were not having our dreams fulfilled. After another exploratory surgery a few years later, we still did not know why I wasn’t able to get pregnant, leaving us frustrated and a little hopeless.

During Jacob’s dental residency in December 2008 I had another surgery; this time it was to remove cysts from my ovaries. At least that’s what I thought going into the operating room. When I woke up, Jacob told me that I actually didn’t have cysts, but that my fallopian tubes were swollen with fluid, a condition called hydrosalpinx. Since both of the tubes were blocked, the doctor felt it was best to remove them. It was hard news to hear, but at the same time, I was relieved to finally have an answer as to why I hadn’t been able to conceive.

Only a few days after receiving this diagnosis, Jacob was ready to move on to adoption, while I was researching in vitro fertilization. Jacob was very concerned for my health, and tired of seeing me go through so many tests and surgeries, and I was too. After several weeks spent studying both options and many, many prayers and tears, we both came to know that adoption was the way our children would come into our family. The relief I felt after making that decision is hard to explain. It really was like a burden was lifted off my shoulders. It brought peace to both of us. We were happy and hopeful and excited to get started with the adoption process. It took us quite a while to actually finish all the paperwork since we were in the middle of finding a new job and moving across the country. But after Christmas last year, we pushed through it and were approved in February. That was a joyful day!

I am grateful for the experience I’ve had of infertility because it has taught me so much patience and compassion for others going through similar trials. I know Heavenly Father has a plan for me, and he knows what is best for our family. I have come to understand the Atonement better and have grown closer to my Savior, Jesus Christ. I love him and know I can turn to him when I’m having a hard day. My husband and I are so excited to have our family grow through adoption and to welcome a little one into our home! We have already been blessed by adoption because of all the wonderful people we’ve met who have helped us along this journey. We also feel blessed by the hope adoption has brought into our lives, and are thankful we are privileged to be a part of it!

1 comment:

  1. We are so glad to be grandparents to a sweet little baby boy soon! Thank you for posting your thoughts and feelings about your experience with having children. We are so happy it is about to happen!

    ReplyDelete